Prickly-Critterz Forum

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Help me please

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LouiseCollins27

PostSubject: Help me please   Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:16 pm

My daughter has moved out and cannot take her hedgehog with her at the moment so I am trying my best. Most of the advice is useful and I have asked her for lots of advice too.
However, I would like to know if the pygmy can go outside on the grass, supervised and is it ok for her to eat grass. My daughter says no wild insects or slugs or snails and I had already read this. I took her outside yesterday but don't want to do it if it wrong. Please help.
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

PostSubject: Re: Help me please   Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi Louise

Hedgehogs are naturally nocturnal so to put them outside in the daytime in my opinion is not recommended - I will take mine out for photos but they very seldom set foot on the floor outside - I am too paranoid that they will eat a slug or snail and that they in turn may have ingested slug pellets which could/would kill a hedgehog.

Do you have a play pen? If you have one, put the hoggie out in the play pen - they will take two hours easily of play time - put the wheel in their for them to run on and a few toys and in this warm weather some water.

Argos do a chad valley pop up ball pit for £ 10.00 and they are a good size for your hedgehog to have a run round in.

Anything else, please ask away x

LouiseCollins27

PostSubject: Re: Help me please   Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Thank you, that is really helpful. I have a little wire pen I could put on the patio at dusk and that would give her a bit more freedom. I have a large plastic ball but don't like to put her in it. I took her out later on in the day in the shade but realise now this may not have been the best for her although she was very nosy and seemed to enjoy sniffing the air. The pen on the pavement will be good. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

PostSubject: Re: Help me please   Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:36 pm

I would steer clear of the ball, they are not something that I personally would use, better for her to have a run in the pen xx

fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Help me please   Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Keep a check on the temperature out there too, as is going a bit cooler now in the evening. I have one of the argos ball pits for my Menuki in the living room and pop him in in the evening....though he seems to prefer sitting in his hedgiebag on my lap. Smile
Back to top Go down
LouiseCollins27

PostSubject: Re: Help me please   Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:51 pm

Thank you, I will be careful with the temp. I don't like it cold either! I am enjoying playing with her but it is only every other day at the moment cos I also have two guinea pigs.
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Help me please   Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:30 pm

Im sure that will be fine for her. I worry about them getting a chill outside to be honest, so keep inside, plus i can keep an eye on them. Ody had a habit of desperately trying to escape the playpen...and often succeeded. Smile
Back to top Go down
gems

PostSubject: Re: Help me please   Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:20 pm

I have a pop up ball pool aswell although she just goes to sleep in in but its a nice change for them especially in this weather.

PostSubject: Re: Help me please   

Back to top Go down

Help me please
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum :: Health, Care and Habitat :: Hedgehog Housing & Environmental Enrichment-
Jump to: