HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:19 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Called out tonight 1 Hoglet found on patio.. Mother last seen Friday then sadly found dead on Saturday.. The lady said she had seen the Mother going into the Pyracantha Bush which was 12ft high and approx 16ft wide... I had to attempt to find this nest as i knew there would be more babies... i eventually found it 4 more babies 3 alive and 1 dead all approx 2 weeks old.. All in ICU on heatpad warming up before 1st milk feed... My arm however is a total mess from the thorns but at least i found them very well hidden about 4 inches under leaves !! Here goes with 2 hourly feeds !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:17 pm

And another 4 Hoglets without Mum... called out to a garden 9am Hoglets seen on slab infront of Shed.. Mum also been seen going under shed but she has not been seen since last Sunday.. The man only saw 1 hoglet yesterday called the RSPCA who advised to take it to a vet.. He did this and they told him nothing they could do go and put it back !! So he put it back last night then this morning more appeared.. Hence my call out.. All 4 hoglets are under two weeks old and are very very cold and quite unresponsive... I have to get there body temp up before i can syringe feed.. So they are in ICU in a fleece on the heatpad.... hopefully it is not just too late for these little guys...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:02 am

SAD News as hard as i tried 3 of the 4 Hoglets i fetched yesterday morning have not made it... Unfortunately these fragile little animals reach a point of no return and there is nothing you can do to save them... They had been away from Mum for just too long without food and her body warmth.. Still trying my best with the 4th Hoglet but not looking good...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Right or wrong i have decided to try a surrogate Mum for the one remaining Hoglet from yesterday.. This is something i have never tried before but this Hoglet is probably only a few days or so difference in age from a Mother and her hoglets here at the rescue.. The Hoglet is really struggling and I can't do anymore .... I put it in with the surrogate mum an hour ago and am keeping a close eye on it.. She is letting it feed so only time will tell but i feel this is the best chance i can give it ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:30 am

Well so far so good my lovely surrogate mum is looking after the orphaned Hoglet and it is looking 100% better this morning.... It is feeding and nestling in amongst the other Hoglets to keep warm !!!
If this works it is certainly something i would look to do again if the situation arises... Time will tell for this baby Hoglet..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:27 am

50 Mile round trip yesterday afternoon first call out 1 x baby approx 2 weeks old found near shed on path.. Gentleman said never seen a Hedgehog in his garden but i suspect the nest was under the shed but so low to the ground impossible to get anything under it to check... This baby was cold and had fly eggs in its ears and mouth... whilst collecting this one had another call from 15 miles further north but couple advised would meet me half way.. This baby Hoggie is approx 6 weeks old and dehydrated.. The very small baby is not to good but hanging on in there.. The larger one is now eating and drinking in the ICU after having rehydrate fluids..

The Baby with it's Surrogate Mum is doing really well think this little fella was destined to live !!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Another call out 4 babies Mother been killed on road.. Gosh it is getting very busy with babies here !!!!
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:42 pm

If it is the same Prickly Ball in Devon, we live about 1 hour's drive away. I have been twice and really really want to go again. Hoggies are lovely and so cute.

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 pm

These are the 4 babies i have just picked up approx 4/5weeks old.. The very kind people were on Holiday on a caravan park and took there time out to meet me half way as it would of been another 40 mile round trip for me... The Mother and 1 baby were actually killed by a lawnmower on the camping field, fortunately these 4 are all ok... Many thanks to the people for meeting me on this glorious day as i am sure you must of been having a BBQ and a few drinks... Thank you ...
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Oh my.... I have just read through all these as I hadn't seen this post before. All those poor little orphans, their mommies probably only left the nest to get something to eat and stretch her legs.... And just never came back Sad

I hope that little one is getting on okay with the surrogate mom...
xoxox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:00 pm

From what I can gather from the updates the fostering has gone well - some aph breeders will have two females pregnant at the same time so that if one rejects a litter the babies can be fostered to the other female x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:42 am

This is the Baby Hoglet i picked up first on Sunday who was very weak and had fly eggs in it's mouth and ears.. He has finally turned the corner and is now responding well to syringe feeding..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:53 pm

The very tiny Hoglet from last Sunday fast asleep after it had its milk feed !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Two Hoglets out for food in an outdoor run so that they can learn to forage for natural food also...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:17 am

The tiny Hoglet as you can see is making excellent progress, loving it's milk and chicken jelly kitten food ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:15 pm

This is one of my resident Hoggies who is blind... Soon as she hears the back door open she is straight in !! this is what i found her doing with the dogs lead !!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Call out to a back garden where a Hedgehog has been seen for quite a while in the evening time... The lady was concerned as this Hedgehog has been out and about in the day for nearly a week and is not going into a ball when she approaches it and she has dogs in her garden... It is a very large Hoggie over 1kg and on examining it i suspect it may be pregnant.. I have brought it back to the rescue and will observe it in a large hutch to see how she goes .. I felt it necessary to remove her from the garden because of the dogs and a large open pond with no access out ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:05 am

Baby Hoglet brought in only 2/3 weeks old... lady just back off holiday and found it on lawn in garden.. Gave her food to put out and advised there will probably be more and to call me first thing to collect.. as only one have put it with last Sunday's baby hoglet both snuggled up together... Lady advised never seen Hedgehog in garden so not sure where mum is or what happened but baby obviously came out of nest looking for her..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:38 pm

Called out to the lady from yesterday with the large Hoggie... 2 small Hoggies in garden late last night they are approx 5/6 weeks old and i think the nest is under the shed... She is going to look out tonight as maybe more.. I still think the large Hoggie is pregnant but these could be from her earlier litter as they have 2 litters between April-September.. again the pond is a problem so best i brought them in...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Another call out 1 baby hoglet approx 3/4 weeks old found lying in sun on path, no Mother Hedgehog been seen at all so guess this baby has managed to get as far is it can before it was exhausted.. lots of fleas!! and dehydrated given rehydrate fluid and in an ICU ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Adult male Hedgehog brought into me this evening in a bad way... Freezing cold very thin and head and face covered in fly eggs... I have worked on it for nearly an hour with a very fine comb and toothbrush trying to remove these fly eggs before finally rinsing it's mouth out to remove any that may be in its mouth or throat.. It is now in ICU. Sadly i don't think it will survive the night ....
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:48 pm

Hopes and prayers and as much positive energy as possible has been sent all the way to this little fella. Hope to hear some good news over the next couple of days....

xoxox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:09 am

Sadyl the Male Hoggie from last night died during the night... It is always sad when i loose one but the only comfort i take from it is that it died in a clean safe place and was given the best chance i could of given it... I can generally know when they arrive if they are past the point of no return but at least they die with no parasites or bugs left on them under a hedge somewhere... Many thanks to the lovely young couple who drove 20 miles to bring it in .. The Baby from yesterday is doing fine ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:47 am

Well as i expected the lady with the large Hoggie and the two small hoggies i fetched yesterday has called me found another 2 but says she could hear another one !!! off to collect the two before the phone starts ringing as Sunday is usually my busiest day especially with the weather being so lovely... Enjoy the weather everyone and please leave lots of fresh drinking water out for our prickly friends ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:31 pm

This is the Baby Hoglet which i collected yesterday which was dehydrated ... It is now eating for England and as they all do is in the dish !!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   

Back to top Go down

Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next