HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Willows Hedgehog Rescue

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Ok folks.
If you want to be considered for a release sites there are rules lol. Like every thing else in life.
1. You have to have hogs in the area already
2. No slug pellets
3. Not be on top of a major road/ i.e. motorway or duel carriage way.
4. If you have a pond it has to be made safe and make sure wildlife can get out if they fall in.
5. If you have a dog it has to have the correct temperament.
6. Supply a hog home and feeding station/ feeding a hog helps at times of when natural food is low. Water is a must.
7. A hedgehog is a wild animal and not a pet. It must be able to roam unless its one of our disabled hogs.
If all this is ok then please email us. We will need name, address post code and phone number.

Thanks for asking
Jayne
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 am

Finished work at 4.20 picked up Blue from Jos then home. grabbed two carriers, two microwave heat pads and paper work, rushed out to pick two hogs up. back home just after 6pm. a closer look at the smaller one just 150g and it was crawling with maggots...YUK nice warm water to bath him. maggots every where. Magic spray and more maggots. 1.5 hours later and nearly all clean. Finally found there was a hole the size of a penny at the back and two smaller ones. attack by some thing. Its now 9.45 and my first drink and no food. too tired now but all hogs cleaned , fed with some good weight gains
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:56 pm

The smallest hog in our care at the moment is finially off hand feeds.(Little Blue)..yeahhhhh. He is chomping into crushed dry food and other goodies and gaining weight nicely. no idea if he will make weight for release this year as yet but we will be trying. One of the monkees that has really been struggling and didnt gain weight for weeks has finially turned the corner and also gaining weight. The new female from last nights rescue, is looking good considering. No new maggots so hopefully I got them all. Will need a trip to the vets as the wound on the back is faily big and deep for such a small hog. Did take some pics so will post tonight when i am home.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:06 pm

Tonight another rescue but this time i ate. We had a call to say 4 babies where out in the open without mom. They went home phoned us but didnt pick them up. The finder went back to only find two, so out we go. We got the two safe and sound and then went to the area. 1/2 hour later we found another one, covered in fly strike and not in a good way. Door knocking and even the local kids were helping. Sadly we couldnt find it. All three are around the 110g all boys again but the one is not looking too good. Fly eggs removed and one small feed. Now we have to start cleaning, a little late tonight. So will post pics after.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:48 am

Yesterdays event was just so good for many reason. The whole event was about wildlife for a start which is so different from our normal show. The whole ethos of it was about How you can make a change to attract wildlife, so our whole display was altered to help give basic ideas using every day objects. Old plastic tubs converted to feeding stations, free food given away to get people started. The new laptops showing clips of hedgehogs as the hoglets were only out three times for 15 minutes at a time. Charlie was filmed on the Spring Watch stage as i hid behind my hair lol. (This was for fun and not being televised even though he signed a permission form) We didnt get to watch the stage shows as we had a constant flow of visitors to our stand. A massive thanks to Sue who helped man our stand with Wildlife Gadget man showing off a few of his designs. Overall a fantastic day and one to remember.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Popeye is off to the VETS again today. This time we are going to ask the VETS to completely remove his eye socket. This has been done in one other hog we had that kept on getting recurring eye infections. We need him to be fit so he can go to a secure garden. If this infection can not be beat we will have to talk about his overall quality of life. As carers we can not keep a hog locked up in a cage for ever, it is cruel. Popeye is otherwise a fit hedgehog even though he has only 3 legs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:57 pm

Well Popeye, went to the VETS and came back. Due to our VETs being so busy today Popeye needs to go back tomorrow. Tonight we had a new volunteer help us in the rescue area. Had a big talk about safety and what he can and cant do. What he would like to do out of all the duties. He had his first hold of a hedgehog and poo paper lol. So a big thank you and welcome to Jim.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Popeye is at the VETS today again. Fingers crossed he gets it sorted
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:47 pm

I hope he is all right love, I am sending lots of comforting vibes.

Hyugs

Jo xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Popeye is back from the VETs, His eye has been flushed again and cleaned and they have remove a lot of infection. Please let this be the last of it. After two months of fighting this, this has got to be enough for the little fella.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:17 pm

This time of year there are still too many little ones out there. Please if you have hedgehogs in your area, think about making a feeding station or even a new home for your spiky friends.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Looks like The Druids will be having a photo shoot on Monday. The press will be coming around as they want some hog related stories so the Water hogs, now released back to the wild and the three Druids will be famous lol. If you cant remember the water hogs they were hoglet that needed a drink went for a swim in the canal not once but twice. The other one fell in a disused pond that had collected rain water. The Druids were rescued after four were first spotted but only two were first rescued. two of the four had wondered off and a mad search by the local children to find them, Sadly we only found one of the two.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Two more so far are going this weekend but trying to get more out before its too late. One hog found in a drain will be leaving tomorrow night, the head trauma hog sun bathing is also going to a secure garden Sunday. If he does well in that garden it may be a complete release. Time will tell for him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Remember Poppy the Pop off Girl, she has just been returned back to the finders garden. Gas meter now out of bounds for her so hopefully this will not happen again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:27 am

The old guy that came in last is old, down on his luck and we are waiting for a poo sample. After putting on 50g its only a matter of time. The joys of waiting around. This morning jobs, Tip run, VET's as we sadly lost a couple this week, bank as I havent been for a while. Then back home to start deep cleaning empty pens, getting out door runs ready for a few that may just make this years release. Then the paper work. Day off work (day job) but never a day off from hogs work
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:07 pm

This large lad has left to go to Tina's a secure garden. He came in with a head wound/trauma and Sunstroke. When we first got him, he couldnt eat or walk. Today he can walk, run and eat as you can clearly see from his size. If he does well in the secure garden with no issues he could be released completely in Spring.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Hay hay Davey has left. He will not be released until tonight, instructions have been given on whar to place the new home. Davy was one of the 4 monkee's that came in as hoglets all grown up now @ 701g
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:05 pm

New one in covered in fly strike small live maggots and ticks. I hate ticks.just 200g and life less. fluids heat after fly strike removed. and fingers crossed. If we can get it warmed up then we can start a few hand feeds to start her off. Finders son wearing a Sonic shirt called her Mazie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Updates as i have been quiet. A few new juvs in all responding. The little one which came in with fly strike and maggots has responded and put some weight on. A few have left. The hog with head injuries who we gave a chance to after a talking to has finally put weight on three days in a row....this is great news to us. A few more could go soon if this mild spell lasts. Loads to do but feeling poorly myself. Wonder if i can fit into a carrier?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:18 am

Charlie has added to his last post on our web page. If ou want to know about size and when to rescue this time of year take a look. Three hogs, different sizes all compared with a standard tennis ball,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:21 pm

All foster carers will be contact to give homes a good clean before the madness starts. New foster carers have to be checked but finding time at the moment is hard so please bear with us. Looks like The Times will be running a story, cant say what just yet but hopefully will be a good one and not

3 juv being rescued tomorrow and coming in for a check up. If all ok will be returned to the Staples where they will be over wintered. One of our blind hogs is coming back tomorrow for an MOT. Another hog is coming in who wondered into a house looking for nesting materials. I do hope it is ok and hopefully will be returned quickly if no issues. We have two hogs that can be released as soon as we have a good few days. two hogs looking for a secure garden also.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Tonight one of the Munch Bunch as left us for the big wild world. That's the third one leaving just one left for the whole of that family. She has been looked after by Sue who has many roles with us. Hog Nannie, foster carer, occasional pick up, events helper, If I have missed one I am sorry. Tomorrow Helen should be picking up two of the Prickly bunch, another foster carer who has helped with the little ones to gain weight for release. Just two of the many people we have come to appreciate for all their hard work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:43 am

I will have to post a pic of Grace soon as she is looking like a health hog now she is putting the weight on. Cant believe how she has turned it around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:45 am

two of the Prickly bunch has left for foster carers today and will be looked after. unsure if they will be released this year but you never now with our weather.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:12 pm

If any one wishes to help here are a few things you can do:
Foster carer - you will need to contact you closest rescue unit (search on internet will normally work) rules may differ from center to center but in general. you will need a shed or garage where you can place a rabbit hutch in. Must be away from house i.e no human noise. You must be able to feed and water and keep clean and most important. Respect that it is a wild animal and not handled, show off to friends and family. The aim is to release back to the wild once its the correct weight or in Spring. You must be able to weigh it and check weight every so often. If you contact the rescue unit vie email, stating that you would like to help with full name, address, post code and contact number.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Willows Hedgehog Rescue   

Back to top Go down

Willows Hedgehog Rescue
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next