Prickly-Critterz Forum

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Lots of little ones coming in now. Chemical hog from last night has survived the night and improved. Able to curl up now and licked some food. Poo is awaful and reeks of the nasty stuff. Probable cause neighbour is a builder with lots of stuff around so i'm really hoping finder will quietly tackle him to see what has spilled and identify chemical. Continuing with fluids and a big finders crossed but really happy with improvement - no babies found. Hope she's not preganant now..........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Chemical hog is doing amazingly, she's not eaten yet but is very bright and on the move. She also has a high capillaria worm count. Often hogs that have one obvious nasty looking injury have other not so obvious underlying problems going on that are more life threatening than the ghastly looking one. One's that look ok on the outside may have serious parasitic worms at work on the inside and sometimes a new hog can just pass away in the night. REALLY IMPORTANT to catch any hog early - ANY HEDGEHOG OUT IN THE DAY NEEDS HELP - capture and call a rescue for advice!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:16 am

Mange hoglet moving about a bit more and tucking into food and gained a little. Would love to see this one make, she must feel so uncomfortable, poor baby. A really bad start to life. Amputees and everyone seem to be doing well !!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:20 am

Mange hoglet eyes are wide open and shes eating loads and able to move around more naturally. Really pleased!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Theft!! Someone has taken my pet carrier from out the front. I always leave a pet carrier there in case anyone brings a hog and leaves it. I have had hogs left in all sorts of unsuitable things so at least the carrier was there for emergencies. If anyone has any unwanted pet carriers they would be welcome here!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:58 am

Lost mange hoglet today, really sad. She was holding her own and eating well, losing spines but her eyes had both opened and looked good. You get to know the poorly ones more so its harder when they pass. Im not good at death, ive sung at funerals but never attended one. A welsh thing i think. Lots of hogs doing well but tonight i mourn little mangey!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:40 am

Bracknell hog with hind leg problems is doing well. One foot and ankle has bite wounds but the infection is localised and he has good movement and the infection is going down. Other leg not right but hog gaining weight, time will tell. Smallest hog in is a wee 100g and only 3-4 weeks old. Came from a vets so sadly no finder details taken so cant send finders out to look for siblings. About 100 hogs in at present so busy, busy, busy!!

Yateley xmas fayre sat 30th Nov 3pm -6.30pm on the green opposite the Dog and Partridge pub.Come and see us on our stall. Xmas gifts and craft items and stocking fillers, make your own hedgehog , xmas face painting and lots more. Come and say hello and catch some early xmas bargins!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:05 am

Dare i say this- not a single hog in today which is great as i definately have foxlash. Ive had whiplash before and as the day progressed post the fox pursuit the foxlash has crept in. I must have skidded on the leaves but i cant say i remember as all i could see was this fox surrounded by my lovely girls. Poor things will have to stay in the run now and they wont be happy. Mr fox was out there tonight, tapped on the glass and he eventually lifted his and just looked at me. Hes a very handsome chap though! I may have won this battle but the war continues...........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:06 am

Weather is a little warmer for the next few days so please keep checking for small hogs. They need to be nearer to 600g to ensure a good hibernation. If in doubt capture, weigh and call a local rescue for advice. Small hogs will hibernate and just not have the fat reserves to wake up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:11 am

Hibernation. Alot of people seem to think hogs go to sleep in november and wake up in march. Hibernation is a complex process and is different for each hog. The large fatties do tend to hibernate first and the smaller seem to know they dont have enough fat reserves so stay awake longer. The weather plays a huge part and hogs can wake up 6-8 times during winter. Lots of underweight ones out there still so please keep your eyes peeled day and night for smallies. A hog should be nearer to 600g to survive winter. If in doubt capture but call any hog rescue for advice. Remember any hog out in the day is already quite ill and needs to go to a rescue asap. Its alot more difficult to save a hog that has been cared for by a well meaning person but hasnt had medication. Call a rescue and get advice!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:14 am

Another 200g hog in - very cold and wobbly. It was found out at night. Hedgehogs have an average of 4-5 babies so this one will have brothers and sisters that need help as well!!! If you find a wobbly one it is dehyrated and hypothermic and for it to stand a chance it has to go on a heat source and brought in the house. Warm it up gently if the outside temps are freezing. 1/2 boil the kettle and fill a hot water bottle but wrap the hot water bottle itself in a towel or fleece( NO HOLES OR PULLS as the hedgehog can catch it legs). Loosely wrap the hog itself in the towel and place on the hot water bottle. If you don't have a hot water bottle then any bottles with lids will do. Fill them with water as hot as you dare without melting the plastic and surround the hog on 3 sides. Place the the hog and hot water bottle at the back of a high sided box lined with thick newspaper, this will give the hedgehog room to move away from the heat if it's too hot. Don't let the hot water bottle go cold, keep changing it every 2 hours and the bottles every hour. Offer water( room temperature NOT cold) in a shallow bowl and a some wet cat or dog food at the other end of the box. Wet cat/ dog food is 80% water so it's a great way to rehydrate a poorly hog plus it's smelly so more likely for the hog to eat it. A cold hedgehog cannot eat or drink but once it's warmed up then it may be able to. This is BASIC hedgehog first aid and then hog will still need to go to a rescue ASAP!!!!! Heat therapy works and often people say "oh, it's ok now!!! NOOOOOOOO it's not, it need to go to a rescue or it will die. ALWAYS call a rescue for advice !!!! There's lots of us out there and even if we aren't in your area we can help with phone advice.

Yateley Xmas Fayre - Please come and support us at this years Yateley Xmas Fayre tomorrow and buy your stocking fillers. It's 3.30 - 6.30 on the green outside the Dog and Partridge pub. We are self funded so fundraising is essential for us to be able to continue helping our struggling hedgehogs. We have well over a 100 hogs in our care and they eat alot. Come say hello!!!!!

The Vivash 3 are still here and holding their own. They were found at a school and the caretaker there has been amazing in finding 3 so far on separate nights. They are are late babies that have only just left the mum and would not have survived on their own. The whole school is now in high alert looking for any more!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:16 am

Most hogs doing well but a few i'm worried about but have done what i can tonight. Hope strimmed hog eats tonight as have been trying different wet foods to entice it. The wound is doing ok but as usual it's the worms that are the real problem. Bumped into the young fox and he stared at me and ran away which is great. I feed the foxes but they are wild animals and too many people ( and there are some in Yateley) that do this at close quarters. KEEP OUR WILDLIFE WILD!!!!!!! It's better for them all round!!! Nos Da!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley   

Back to top Go down

The Happy Hedgehog Rescue Yateley
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5